Monday, June 28, 2010

Crazy Driving and Road Rules

Today mum n I went to Riyadh Gallery with mums friend Sam. Sam lives in our compund but goes to London tomorrow for a break so we caught up with her for coffee. Riyadh Gallery is ok.

After that we went to a Saudi ladys house. Her name is Raeefa (Ray-fa). She is 22 and is married to a Sheikh (Sheek). I'm not sure what makes you a Sheikh apart from being very wealthy. Raeefa is so lovely. Mum is teaching her English because her and her husband go to London on Thursday. Her spoken English is about 6/10 but her comprehension of written material is only like 3. She is very cheeky and makes jokes to mum. It's really funny because when she does it she sticks out her tongue...all that's missing is her saying "Ah, gaamin!". I might teach her to say that :)

The driving here is pretty crazy. They have lanes but not a lot of people stay in them. They just cross over whenever and pull out in front of each other. The only reason anyone lets you in their lane or lets you through is because they don't want to get a ding in their car. There is no courtesy. The pushier you are the quicker you get through. Apparently when you crash, even just a small one, you have to wait for the police to come. Whatever lane you are in you just stay there and the traffic have to find a way around you. Same with the insurance company, you have to wait for them. Sometimes they can take hours to arrive.
Over here women are not supposed to drive but the boys can. I say boys because there is no starting driving age. If you can reach the pedals then you are allowed to drive. They also don't have to wear seatbelts or helmets or buckle their kids in. Most kids stand or sit on the middle console in between the front seats!! Apparently there are thousands of deaths a year over here from road accidents!!

There is lots of beeping here too. They beep for everything...beep! I'm coming to an intersection, beep! You pulled out in front of me, beep! Get out of my way, beep! The light is green and it's been .1 of a millisecond and you haven't moved yet! beep! beep! beep! The cab drivers beep at you if you are walking to say "I am free to take you".

Mum n I played squash again today. I am getting better. Mum beats me...Dad always says she's a boofhead when she plays because she doesn't play often but always has good shots...It's true!! She's older, not as fit or as fast as me but she wins. What the!? Haha, it's lots of fun though.
We played for like an hour and a half. I was sooooo buggered by the end. I had to lie down for a little while cause I felt sick.
Once I felt better, had a shower and something to eat we went up the road to Akaria Mall. It is only small and old looking. Has a couple of cool shops. Dad likes the crystal shops. He bought a couple of crystal bowls from there, they are pretty cheap.

Tomorrow we are going to do pilates again and teach Raeefa some more English.

No comments:

Post a Comment